- Tue, 10/13/2020 - 15:33
- The natural anti-viral for banishing colds and flu
- by IMI health
With cold and flu season upon us, it’s even more important to eat a nutrient dense diet, improve your sleep schedule and practice good hygiene in order to strengthen your immune system. Sometimes though, even our best efforts aren't enough. That's when it's time to turn to a potent supplement.
One of our go-to supplements for waging the war against seasonal challenges is elderberry extract. Picked by practitioners, consumed by our clients, and verified by virologists, this sweet and soothing superstar has been the herbal elixir of choice for centuries. Black elderberries are high in antioxidants, and its extract can be used to ward off colds and relieve symptoms of colds, flus and respiratory tract infections.
Elderberry extract explained
Considered one of the world’s most healing plants, its berries and flowers are packed with immunity-boosting antioxidants and nutrients including:
- The hemagglutinin protein, proven to prevent a virus from penetrating cell walls, therefore halting its ability to replicate, thus reducing the duration of influenza symptoms.
- Vitamin C which works against the viral flu and boosts immunity.
- Vitamin A for healthy mucosa and skin.
- Phenolic acids which reduce damage from oxidative stress.
- Flavonols for cardiovascular health, relaxation and overall antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity.
- Anthocyanins which also have powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
It’s no wonder elderberry extract is lauded as a force against flu, but don’t just take our word for it.
The global experts on elderberry
- In the early 90s, world-renowned Israeli virologist Dr Madeleine Mumcuoglu tested its healing properties on patients during a flu epidemic in Israel. She discovered that within 24 hours, 20% of patients that took elderberry extract experienced dramatic improvements in symptoms like fever, coughing, muscle aches and pains. By the second day, 73% improved and by day three, 90%. In the group that did not receive elderberry extract, only 16% felt better after two days. The majority of that group took almost a week to see signs of improvement.
- During an outbreak of influenza B in Panama in 1993, researchers conducted tests on 27 patients. 93.9% of those in the group taking elderberry experienced a significant improvement of symptoms within 2 days. By day 3, 90% of those supplementing were completely cured, compared to the control group who took 6 days to recover. 
- During the influenza season of 1999-2000 in Norway, a study of 60 people found that those who took 15 ml of elderberry syrup 4 times a day saw signs of improvement in 2 to 4 days, while those who took a placebo syrup took 7 to 8 days to improve.
- 312 people took part in an Australian study on elderberries between 2013 and 2014. It showed that those supplementing 3 times a day with elderberry extract had colds that were half the severity and two days shorter than those who did not. 
Our practitioners at IMI have prescribed this natural elixir to the young and old for over twenty five years, with great clinical results. Pure and potent, it has been proven to boost immunity of not only those who are unwell, but those who are healthy too.
Their top pick is GaiaHerbs' Black Elderberry Syrup which concentrates the power of 14.5g of organic elderberries into one manageable dose.
ArmaForce is another powerful formula featuring a range of immune-boosting ingredients, including echinacea, vitamin C, quercetin and zinc as well as elderberries.